Meta tags are used in SEO to aware Google about the page content. They tell Google what the page is all about. There are four types of Meta tags used in SEO.
- Meta keywords: They are not more relevant. Earlier, they were really helpful in seo but not meaningful now.
- Title Tag: This is tag tells google about the subject of the content. for example
3. Met description: It shows below the title in google results. It increase the CTR.
4. Meta Robots (index/noindex and follow/nofollow) :
It tells google to index or noindex a page and the links on the page will be follow or nofollow is decided by the follow or nofollow.
Meta tags is one of the most important elements in seo for your website to show search engine perfectly. Meta tags works as a factor of search engine ranking always so you have to give proper priorities. Meta tags are words which is always hidden on your code visitor never see them only search engine see them. Meta tags are always found in your html area.
<head>Meta tags are located here</head>
There are three important parts of Meta tags that you can use:
1. Title – The title tag is the title text that is shown in search engine listings. I know that this is not necessarily a meta tag, but it similarly functions like one.
<title>Title text here</title>
2. Description – The meta description tag is where you would want to put your site’s summary. This is where you put what your site is all about and what you are offering people. It should not be too long because the search engines only read up to a certain number of words.
<meta name=”description” content=”This is where you put your site’s summary”/>
3. Keywords – The meta keywords tag is where you put all of the keywords you use in your site. This is basically where you want the words which will take you to the top of the SERPs page to be. Your keywords are important – even if you take away all of the other words, the user should be able to know what your site is all about when they read your keywords.
<meta name=”keywords” content=”SEO, Hacker, Google, Search, etc”/>
These three things make up your meta tags.
Besides this you will found some others tag like H-tag, Meta robots, etc.