DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
FriendWithA is an online peer to peer rental marketplace. The platform enables people to loan out all sorts of gear and equipment ranging from outdoor backpacks and climbing equipment to cameras and lawn care tools. If you have any gear or equipment that you are not actively using, you can lend it out for short term rentals to poeple who need to borrow such gear to earn some passive side income.
- Outstanding 24/7 customer service – no matter what time of day it is, if you face any issues with your rental, there are staff ready to help.
- Get up to $10,000 damage protection insurance – you will also get up to $100,000 in personal liability insurance coverage provided by the company.
- Relatively low fees – the platform is free to join and to list items on. They only charge a 10% fee when you get a successful rental on your item.
- High earnings potential – you can earn up to $1000 per month in passive income depending on the type of gear that you have available to loan out.
- ID verification needed – if the value of the item that you are listing exceeds $1000, you will need to provide your ID for verification first.
- Income from rentals may not be consistent – if the demand for your type of gear in your area is low, you may only get 1 to 2 rentals per month.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Sites to Rent Stuff
Rent garage, driveway, parking lot, basement, bedroom, shed or carport
No listing fees + guaranteed payment monthly even if a renter doesn’t pay
Free coverage for everyone— $1,000,000 for host and $25,000 for renters
Earn money by renting out your gear with relatively low rental fees – 10%
Average monthly pay – $95 for bike, $145 for camera, $150 for guitar
Personal liability guarantee up to $100,000 and $125,000 property coverage
How Does FriendWithA Work?
Established in 2018 and headquartered in Seattle, Washington, FriendWithA is an online rental platform that allows owners to lend their items at a fee. The users can then borrow the items listed for the amount indicated. The company was founded by Stefan Cordova.
FriendWithA allows you to;
- Add photos, descriptions, and details until your listing is live.
- Create an account for free.
- Handoff equipment and pick up at the scheduled pickup and return time.
- Verify your identity.
- Approve rental requests with a pickup location.
- Create listings on the platform.
- Confirm bookings on the site.
How Much You Can Earn With FriendWithA?
You can earn up to $1000 per month renting out equipment on FriendWithA. For example, the more items you list, the more money you are likely to earn. You can also earn $20 for each friend you invite to use the platform.
Who is FriendWithA Best for?
FriendWithA is best for creators, adventurers, and outdoor enthusiasts who want to rent their stuff and earn money. It is also best for borrowers looking for a platform where they can rent out items and return them at a later date.
What Can You Rent With FriendWithA?
There are numerous categories for items you can list on the FriendWithA platform. You can rent stuff, including:
- Photography: Cameras and video equipment.
- Sports: Snowboards & gear, rollerblades, bikes/
- Water sports: Surfboards, kiteboards, kayaks.
- Electric mobility: Scooters, Segways.
- Transport: Cars, boats.
- Equipment: Garden & lawn, general equipment.
- Outdoors: Sleeping bags, camp chairs, backpacks, tents, and other camping equipment.
- Tools: Saws, ladders, power tools.
- Electronics: Video games, computers, drones.
- Musical instruments: Keyboards, guitars, amp instruments.
Some items are in higher demand, so you are more likely to find a borrower quickly.
Are Your Items Safe?
FriendWithA offers your items instant property coverage and liability guarantee. Liability and coverage fees are valued at;
- $100,000 liability guarantee.
- $125,000 instant property coverage.
Additionally, FriendWithA verifies all platform users. All renters need to be vetted or provide a damage deposit. Renters also need to sign liability waivers when borrowing sports equipment or tools.
FriendWithA Benefits: What Does FriendWithA Offer?
FriendWithA Referral Program
The platform has a referral program where you can earn $20 for inviting your friends to use the FriendWithA site. Your friends also benefit from referrals because they will receive $10 after their first transaction is completed on the platform.
You can find your unique referral link on the website referral page. The platform allows you to invite friends via email or social media by posting your referral link on your social media accounts. FriendWithA has a template with detailed steps to help you create converting posts for your preferred social media networks.
You can make $1000 or more per month on FriendWithA renting your items. The platform also allows you to have full control of your earnings, making it easy to fund your projects and ideas to make more money on the site.
You Can Rent Anything
Even though FriendWithA specializes in sporting equipment and technology, it also has different categories where you can add various items to diversify and maximize your earnings on the site.
If you have items that do not have a place on the FriendWithA marketplace, you can request a new category be added to the platform.
Tips for Successfully Renting Out Your Things
Set the Best Price:
You can choose your rental price using the FriendWithA price calculator to avoid overpricing your items. When pricing your items, you should consider:
- The item price
- Its condition
- The item age
Take Good Photos:
Good images can increase your chances of securing a borrower by 40%. Many borrowers will browse solely by the images, so making a great first impression is important.
Clean and test your items before you take pictures and ensure the item functions. Ideally, you should have a clear, uncluttered background and take pictures from multiple angles.
Don’t Forget the Insurance:
While trying to cut down on your FriendWithA commissions may be tempting, don’t overlook the benefits of paying for the platform insurance. The Lender Damage Guarantee is not a compulsory purchase, but it is the best way to protect your items against any unforeseen risks.
FriendWithA Fees: How Much Does it Cost to Use FriendWithA?
The platform is free to sign up and generally charges a 10% service fee per item. While owners are required to pay a 6% commission fee plus insurance charge, renters will pay a 14% commission fee on the items they rent on the site.
Renters enjoy better rates when borrowing for a longer period.
The basic requirement to become a lender at FriendWithA include;
- You must be responsive.
- Accepting requests on time.
- Maintaining a high rating.
- Must have good communication and customer service skills.
- Pay rental and insurance fees for items you add to your listings.
FriendWithA Payout Terms and Options
After each rental is complete, FriendWithA will make your funds available for withdrawal. The minimum withdrawal limit is $5, and you can request for withdrawal and receive your earnings via direct bank transfer. Your funds will reflect on your account a few days after initiating the payment process.
FriendWithA Reviews: is FriendWithA Legit?
Most of the lenders indicated that FriendWithA is easy to use and navigate. Other lenders also liked the site because it allows them to rent stuff online. At the same time, other lenders also praised it as one of the best platforms that provided them with legitimate ways to make money online.
Unfortunately, some lenders complained that the company has only one payment method; bank transfer. Others also had problems with the platform’s high commission fee. Overall, FriendWithA is a trustworthy online rental platform.
What Are the FriendWithA Pros & Cons?
- Easy to use and list your items on the platform.
- Insurance protection: FriendWithA provides insurance protection should your item be lost, stolen, or damaged during rental.
- Reputable online rental site with solid ratings.
- Offers liability protection waiver to protect your items in case of damage.
- High commission fee per rental: Every item you rent will attract a commission fee of 10%.
- No guarantees: While you can list practically any item, there is no guarantee that will find you a borrower.
- Offers only one payment method; bank transfer.
- The verification process might take a longer time.
- It only works best for lenders in big cities.
How Good is FriendWithA Support?
FriendWithA has frequently asked question sections and a help page with answered questions, blogs, and articles. It also has a responsive customer support team available 24/7 via email and live chat. You also contact customer support via social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to get answers to your queries.
FriendWithA Review Verdict: is FriendWithA Worth It?
FriendWithA is a legitimate and recommended online rental platform that allows you to rent your stuff and earn extra cash. You can make $1000 per month renting out equipment. You can also make $20 inviting your friends to use the platform.
However, you will be charged a 6% commission plus insurance. You will also need to pay a 10% service fee on each item you add to your listing. Once you hit the minimum of $5, you can request to withdraw your payment via direct bank deposits. Overall, FriendWithA is a trustworthy online rental platform worth trying.
How to Sign Up With FriendWithA?
- Visit FriendWithA and sign up for a free account using your email address or Facebook account.
- Enter your details on the signup form, including your name, state, zip code, and gender. Generate a strong password for your account.
- Confirm your email address and verify your account.
- Submit your account for approval. If you’re planning on renting out items worth $1000, you will need to provide an ID to lend your gear.
- Once approved, you can create listings for things you want to rent. FriendWithA has tools to help you choose the best price for your items.
Sites Like FriendWithA
FriendWithA vs. AirBnB
FriendWithA and Airbnb are reliable and legitimate online platforms that allow you to rent your stuff and earn extra cash. Both platforms are free to sign up and use. While Airbnb’s primary focus is renting properties online, FriendWithA mainly focuses on renting items like sports equipment online.
As for earning potential, FreindWithA earning potential is $1000 per month compared to Airbnb, whose potential monthly earnings are $924. Additionally, Airbnb has a $1 million liability insurance fee, while FriendWithA’s liability fee is $100,000.
FriendWithA vs. Neighbour
While Neighbor charges a service fee of 4.9%, FriendWithA’s service fee is 10%. FriendWithA is best for renting items online, while Neighbor is best for storage spaces. Like FriendWithA, Neighbor also pays you via direct bank deposit.
Additionally, Neighbor’s liability fee is $1 million compared to FriendWithA, whose liability fee is $100,000. Both platforms are free to sign and use. Moreover, Neighbor’s potential earnings per month is $50 to $600 compared to FriendWithA’s potential earnings of $1000 per month.
FriendWithA vs. Booking.com
- Provides transparent, innovative, and supportive partnership; for instance, by providing the tools required for 24/7 support and visibility.
- Turns its global audience into your guests, for example, through professional online marketing and continuous innovation
- Provides attractive partnership rates which can increase your properties visibility
- Attracts more guests to your properties by offering loyalty programs that provide travel rewards
Booking.com offers two payment methods; Virtual Credit Card (VCC) and bank transfer, compared to FriendWithA, which has only one payment method; bank transfer. Booking.com and FriendWithA are safe and recommended sites for renting items online.
While you can earn $1500 per month on Booking.com, FriendWithA’s monthly potential earnings is $1000. Booking.com’s service fee is 10% to 25% compared to FriendWithA, whose service fee is 10%. Like FriendWithA, Booking.com is free to sign up and use.
FriendWithA vs. Fat Llama
Fat Llama and FriendWithA are legitimate online that allow you to rent things online and earn extra cash. FriendWithA’s service fee is 10% compared to Fat Llama, whose service fee is 15%.
Like FriendWithA, FatLlama allows you to list any item on its platform. Moreover, Fat Llama operates in major cities in the UK and US compared to FriendWithA, which is only available in the US. While you can earn $90k per month on Fat Llama, FriendWithA’s potential earnings per month are $1000.
FriendWithA vs. Loanables
Loanables and FriendWithA allow you to list items in different categories. While both platforms have similar commission rates, in Loanables, you are responsible for collecting your earnings and arranging for pickup. Both sites are free to join and use.
Loanable has no liability protection compared to FriendWithA, which has liability protection of $100,000. Like FriendWithA, Loanables also send you payments via direct bank deposit.
FriendWithA vs. RentNotBuy
RentNotBuy is a free listing service that allows you to rent anything online. On the other hand, FriendWithA is a paid online rental platform that allows you to rent various items. Both platforms are free to sign up for and use.
While RentNotSell does not charge any service fee on its items, FriendWithA charges 10% service fees. Unlike FriendWithA, you will need to handle the payment and item security alone on RentNotBuy.
What is FriendWithA?
FriendWithA’s primary mission is to connect borrowers and lenders. It is a reputable rental platform where you can rent out items online. While it allows you to list items in different categories, the site specializes in sporting equipment and technology.
Is FriendWithA worth it?
FriendwithA is a legitimate online platform that allows you to rent your stuff and extra cash.
What things can you rent out?
You can rent out anything on FriendWithA. If you don’t find an appropriate category, you can request that the support team add a new one.
Does FriendWithA sell y information?
How much can you make on FriendWithA?
You can make up to $1000 per month renting out equipment on the platform.