DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
The content is for informational purposes only. Conduct your own research and seek advice of a licensed financial advisor. Terms.
Best Companies to Make Money While Driving
Earn $25 per hour plus keep 100% of your tips (4000 cities in USA)
You can use any mode of transportation: your car, bicycle or motorcycle
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept
Experienced delivery drivers can earn up to $21 per hour ($13 on average)
Choose when you want to work based on your schedule in 1000 cities
Delivery snacks, drinks, grocery, quick meals, cleaning supplies and more
How Can I Make Money Driving?
If you have an up-to-date driving license, there are multiple ways to make money driving. The table below sums up the best ways of driving for a living.
|Average Earning Potential|
|Become a Rideshare Driver||Up to $1,000 per week|
|Deliver Food||Up to $1,500 per week|
|Shop for Others||Up to $1,500 per week|
|Deliver Packages||Up to $1,000 per week|
|Misc. Ways to Make Money Driving||Up to $500 per week|
Keep reading this article to discover the 15 best jobs and apps included in these categories.
Shop for Others
Just like on food delivery services, the demand for personal shoppers is increasing as well. As a personal shopper, you’ll need to shop for other people and deliver the orders to their doorsteps. Here’s the list of 2 best apps you can use to shop for others.
Instacart is the go-to app for many people when they need to order groceries and get them delivered at their doorsteps.
On the flip side, Instacart offers you a personal shopper job letting you make money while driving. All you need to do is:
- Accept the order request through the Instacart app
- Visit the requested store
- Shop for items in the order
- Deliver the order to your customer’s doorstep
Here’s how to become an Instacart personal shopper:
- Sign up as an Instacart full-service shopper
- Download the Instacart Shopper app on your iOS or Android device to complete your sign-up process
- Pass a background check
- Get approved and fill out the paperwork – you’ll need to sign an independent contractor agreement and W-9 tax form
While how much you’ll earn as an Instacart full-service shopper depends on the number of orders you’ll complete, you can expect on average $1,500 weekly.
- Visit the store the customer has chosen
- Collect the items in the shopping cart
- Deliver the order to your customer’s doorstep
Shipt is an on-demand delivery service provider, allowing you to make cash driving. As a Shipt Shopper, you’ll simply need to
Delivering orders with Shipt can earn you on average $22 per hour and keep 100% customer tips. Excluding the tips, you could earn around $880 weekly.
Become a Rideshare Driver
As a rideshare driver, you’ll be helping people to transport from one place to another. Simply use the Lyft or Uber app to receive the orders and fulfill them.
Lyft is one of the largest ridesharing apps available throughout the United States and connects you to people who need a lift.
Becoming a Lyft rideshare driver is simple – you’ll need:
- A valid driving license
- Consent to a background check for a criminal record and driving history
- Own a 4-door car (or rent it)
- Have a valid driving license and a car insurance
- A smartphone to download the Lyft app
- Internet data to use the app
With Lyft, you can expect to earn on average $20 to $28 per hour. Additionally, Lyft provides cash-back and discount deals on various purchases, including gas, car services, and groceries.
Pro tip: If you don’t own a car, use HyreCar to rent one.
Like Lyft, Uber is a nationwide ridesharing company that connects you with people who need to transport from one place to another.
What’s good about Uber is that its rates increase up to 7 times during peak times. This allows you to maximize your earnings.
Pro tip: Use the Gridwise app never to miss any peak times in your area. Plus, Gridwise offers more tricks that can earn you more than a regular rate.
The demand for food delivery services only goes up. As a food delivery driver, you’ll need to accept the orders through the app and deliver them to your customers’ doorsteps. Here’s the list of 4 best delivery apps you can use.
DoorDash is one of the largest food delivery service providers in the United States, supporting various local restaurants.
As a Dasher, you’ll receive food delivery requests within your DoorDash Driver app (download on iOS or Android). If you’re available, you’d accept the request, pick up the order and deliver it to your customer’s doorstep. But if you’re unavailable, you can decline the request without any consequences.
Delivering food with DoorDash, you can expect to earn $25 per hour, plus customer tips. In total, you can average $1,000 weekly driving for DoorDash.
DoorDash lets you deliver orders using a car, motorcycle, scooter, or bike.
As an on-demand delivery service provider for grocery and food orders, Postmates lets you earn money driving.
Here’s how to join the Postmates Fleet and start making money delivering orders:
- Sign up for the Postmates Fleet.
- Provide documents such as diplomas, employment history, and criminal records to pass a background check.
- Wait for the Postmates recruiting team to review your application.
- Once you’re approved, you’ll receive a delivery bag and a prepaid card by mail. Having a prepaid card and a delivery bag, you’re ready to start delivering orders.
As a Postmates delivery driver, you’ll earn:
- A minimum of $4 per order
- $1 for each pick-up and drop off
- And $0.10 per minute waiting for the order to prepare
Working full-time, you can average $1,500 per week, delivering Postmates orders.
Grubhub offers a delivery service from local restaurants and fast-food chains.
Here’s how you can make money driving your own car with Grubhub:
- Apply as a Grubhub Driver through the website or using the Grubhub app (on iOS or Android).
- Pass a background check for the criminal records.
- Attend the onboarding meeting where Grubhub will introduce you to the app functionality, scheduling, deliveries, etc.
- Sign the paperwork – agreement and tax form.
- Get your car decals, insulated delivery bags, and more from Grubhub.
When it comes to payout, you can expect to earn on average $15 per hour delivering Grubhub orders.
Domino’s Pizza is one of the most famous American pizza chains that provide a delivery service as well.
To become a delivery driver and fulfill Domino’s Pizza orders, you’ll need to:
- Apply online or visit one of Domino’s restaurants.
- Allow the Domino’s recruiters to run a basic background check for criminal records.
- Visit Domino’s office for onboarding procedures and sign the agreement.
As a Domino’s Pizza delivery driver, you can expect to earn between $12 to $20 per hour, plus keep 100% of customer tips. With this rate, you can total an average of $800 per week.
With so many people shopping online, companies constantly need to hire delivery drivers to keep up with their orders. Here’s the list of 4 best companies you can join to deliver their orders.
Amazon Flex recruits drivers like you to deliver their orders to customers’ doorsteps.
To start delivering Amazon orders, you’ll need to:
- Sign up as an Amazon Flex driver
- Select your location – the area where you’ll be delivering
- Provide payment and tax details
- Install the Amazon Flex app on your iOS or Android device to find orders
- Get approved and start delivering Amazon orders.
As an Amazon Flex delivery driver, you can expect to earn an average of $18 to $25 per hour – a potential total of $1,000 weekly.
If you’re commuting from one city to another regularly, Roadie helps you connect with people who need their packages delivered at long distances.
Roadie is a great option to make additional money while traveling or doing your daily intercity commutes.
Joining Roadie is simple:
- Sign up as a driver
- Download the Roadie app on your iPhone or Android
- Find a gig that matches your locations and contact the sender
- Read the gig requirements and instructions carefully
- Finally, deliver the order and get paid
On average, you can earn $60 per delivery. However, you can make up to $650 for larger packages and longer delivery distances.
FexEx is an American shipping company that delivers packages nationwide.
Here’s how to join FedEx and deliver their orders:
- Browse the job directory to find one that fits your skills, vehicle type, and location
- Submit the online application
- Schedule the interview with the FedEx recruiter
- Pass a drug test
- Consent to get your background checked for criminal records.
When it comes to earnings, FedEx will pay you a fixed rate of $17.79 per hour.
UPS is also one of the largest American delivery companies. As a delivery driver, your job is to deliver various parcels to customer’s doorsteps.
Here’s how to start delivering UPS orders:
- Choose what type of driver you want to work as package delivery driver by car, freight driver, or tractor or trailer driver
- Browse the UPS job directory and apply online
- Schedule an interview with the UPS recruiter
UPS has a fixed price rate for delivery drivers, which is $30 per hour. However, you can expect this rate to increase over time. For example, after 4 years of working with UPS, you can get up to $37 per hour.
Other Ways to Make Money Driving
13. Help People Move (Bellhop)
According to statistics, 33 million Americans move each year. While many people might move by themselves, most people would rather pay for a moving service to ease the process.
That’s where Bellhop comes into play, connecting you with people seeking drivers to help them move their stuff.
Here are the Bellhop requirements you need to fulfill to qualify as a mover:
- Be able to lift 100+ lbs
- Pass a background check for criminal records
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Own a smartphone to use the Bellhop app
- Have access to a reliable vehicle
- Have a checking account to accept your payment
Become a Lime Juicer
Lime rents out scooters using the Lime app. Since the scooters are electric, they need to be charged daily.
If you own a larger vehicle – an SUV, a pick-up truck, etc. – you can become a Lime Juicer to take the scooters to charge. Once the scooters are fully charged, you need to return them to the streets.
The more scooters you pick up for a charge, the higher your payout. On average, you can make $8 per scooter.
Advertise on Your Car (Wrapify)
If you’re using your car for your daily commutes, Wrapify lets you get paid for driving – what you’re already doing anyway.
Signing up for the program, Wrapify places advertising banners on your vehicle, transforming it into a moving banner.
Here’s how it works:
- Join the available campaign in your area using the Wrapify app (on Android or iOS)
- Visit the Wrapify office to wrap your car with an advertising banner
- Activate the app while driving to track your driving distance
Wrapify payout depends on wrap coverage, the distance you drive, and the area you’re driving in. The table below shows how much you can earn with each type of coverage.
|Full Coverage||$264 – $452 per month|
|Partial Coverage||$196 – $280 per month|
|Lite Coverage||$181 – $280 per month|
|Static+ Rideshare Topper||$174 – $280 per month|
Pro tip: Some of the apps discussed above may allow you to drive the car wrapped in advertisements. If they do, you have a great chance to maximize your earnings while driving.
What Driving App Pays The Most?
Among the 15 apps you’ve just discovered, Postmates pays you the most with the potential to earn up to $1,500 per week.
However, I highly recommend you join several driving apps to maximize your earnings. In case one app doesn’t have much demand for the day, you could switch to the other one.